Search This Blog

Thursday 12 July 2012

Week 2 - Biggest, Faster, First! with the Mad Scientists!

Our World Map, Dotted with the places we want to go to!
 Yay! So we had our crazy mad scientists today! 11 kids joined me as we explored world record animals and natural places of the world!

Since we had a couple of early birdies (and I could tell that we were going to have some late comers to the party) I got the girls started on some cute colouring sheets, from this website: http://smackofjellyfish.com/

I love that website's prints! So awesome, and it tied in perfectly to last week's theme of Wild Wild Life! So as the kids continued to colour and more and more of them joined us in the library! Once we had a significant amount in attendance, I started to read to them from the Steve Jenkins book "Hottest, Coldest, Highest, Deepest" which is a lovely book about the natural wonders of nature on earth!

The kids liked it! I gave 'em a quick break from colouring to think about where on earth they would like to travel to and each child got a sticker to add to our world map! So many girls want to go to Paris!!! Caleb, funny enough, wants to stay right in Canada! And we had some kids deviate from the norm with stickers on Ireland, Mexico, Russia and Australia!


As they continued their colouring, I noticed not all had quite finished up so I took out "Biggest, Strongest, Fastest" also by Steve Jenkins and read that one to the kids! They are such fun books!

Chase and Chloe building away!
So, after our story and colouring time, we talked about the science of gravity and I posed the problem to the kids ... what happens when I drop an egg from high up in the air? and how can you save an egg from cracking!?

I gave the kids a bag of materials to each team - chosen at random 4 groups of 2 and 1 group of 3! I gave them 10 minutes to secure their egg all nice and safe and then we tested out each contraption.

It was lots of fun, egg splattered all over the place and the kids enjoyed that! good thing I had the tarp laid out on the ground! 

Kyleen, Abby and Sara working together! 
The kids did such a good job too! I had to throw their egg-mobile so high before any of them broke! Eventually when we were down to 2 survivors, Caleb had the idea to go outside and throw them! so we went out on to the stairs outside the library and I did a little underhand two-handed-bowling-like throw and we crowned our winner! Emily and Hannah!


I gave them each an Ice Age 4 poster that Lisa, my boss at the theatre, so graciously donated to us! Thank you Royal Theatre Trail! See what's playing this week here: http://www.royaltheatretrail.com/ Ice Age 4, starts tomorrow!
Another shoot of Chase and Chloe!

The winning team! Hannah and Emily, team Pink! 
So yeah, after all that fun and commotion building and throwing our egg-mobiles around, I passed out our prizes to our 2 mad scientist winners! and then I handing out pieces of sweet chewing gum to everyone and we finished off class chewing our gum away and reading an excerpt from "From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankenweiler"

The kids were good listeners! even though my reading is ripe with stuttering and big mess-ups, they were quiet and listened well!

After that I showed the kids the blog and passed out book review templates for them to fill out as they read this summer! 

Here's what the Mad Scientist's Book Review Pages look like!
So each week when the kids come into the library they can drop off their Book Reviews and I'll post them here! 

And then the club was adjourned, the kids frolicked around the library and checked out books and we recorded their reading records and all that!   

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment