Search This Blog

Saturday 7 July 2012

Library Book Reviews: Children Books! "The Legend of Ninja Cowboy Bear", "Extra Yarn", and "Wumbers"

So, I've been planning out the program for this coming week, Week 2, which has the theme: Biggest, Fastest, First - World Records and Incredible Feats. So I've been devouring through the Children's section of the library once again to find books that fit into the theme, or that are just awesome and here are my findings that I'd like to share!


"The Legend of Ninja Cowboy Bear" by David Bruins and Hilary Leung (2009)

This book is perfect! One thing about this week's theme that I was a little weary of, was the idea of competition. I know at a young age we can sometimes become very attached to the thought of being a winner and not a loser and I didn't want to encourage the kids to think this way! 

This book tells the lesson of how everyone of us are different and have different strengths and abilities and talents. It also ends with a fun variation of the classic "rock, paper scissor" game and also ties in well with the game "ninja" that I plan on teaching to the Mad Scientists! 

Besides loving the story itself, I really really enjoy the design and illustration of the book. Hilary Leung did an excellent good and my goodness everything is just too cute! 

I think the kids will really enjoy this story! Its beautiful (story, lesson, and art!) and fun. 


"Extra Yarn" by Mac Barnett and illustrated by Jon Klassen (2012)

I'm so lucky to have found this book among the shelves! I know it doesn't really fit into the theme for this week, but its so lovely that perhaps I'll save it for a future week. I'm thinking Week 5: True Story or Week 6: Trick or Truth? 

Anyways, the book tells the story of a young girl named Annabelle who finds a wonderful box of yarn of every colour! The illustrations and juxtaposition between the black, gray, white and dreary world against the colours of the yarn is beautiful! It's a book that just leaves you happy in the end.  

I totally agree with Lane Smith's - author of "It's a Book" - review on the book of the book "There's only one thing to say: 'perfect.'"


"Wumbers" by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and illustrated by Tom Lichtenheld (2012)

This is a fun book that I'm hoping the kids will enjoy! I'm thinking I'll get everyone sitting in a circle and one by one each person will read a page aloud - if they are comfortable reading! This book is cute because it does that sort of internet short hand of using numbers in place of words... like to become 2 and for becomes 4 ... and takes it to - or should I say 2? - a new level! for example the front cover says wri10 by Amy Krouse Rosenthal + Illustr8ed by Tom Lichtenheld! So each page is full of scenarios and sentences with numbers that are lovingly illustr8ed 2 boot!

TLDR: These books are all awesome! I grant thee three eacheth its owneth 5/5 rating-eth

No comments:

Post a Comment