Search This Blog

Tuesday 10 July 2012

Library Book Review: YA Graphic Novel "Marvel 1602"

by Neil Gaiman, Andy Kubert, and Richard Isanove
Cover art by Scott McKowen 


In the name of the moon! I shall
punish you!
Now, I've always been a fan of comics, at a younger age, Young Amanda was - how should I say? - OBSESSED with a little japanese anime show by the name of SAILOR MOON! oh goodness how I loved that show! I shamelessly read the whole manga series during my first midterm season of college! Sailor Moon inspired my love of manga and I wanted desperately to be a manga/comic book artist. Alas, my creativity peaked very soon and I was doomed to a career of only being able to copy the work of other much better artists!

Anyways, my comic book prowess went into a dormant stage only again to be inspired by korean dramas that were based on japanese manga!! and then again my love for movies led to comics as the renaissance of comic book movies came to fruition! and also the awesome-ness of Avatar: the Last Airbender (made into comic book continuation), cartoon shows like Spiderman, Gargoyles, X-men and more recently Young Justice!! and of course the massive amazing-ness of the movie The Avengers have gotten me real excited about comics!!! trust me... you don't even wanna know how many times I saw the Avengers! Needless to say it's amazing and I have to many feelings about the whole thing!!! haha

Grace Randolph's series Supurbia
Also, I've been subscribed to a great comic book themed youtube channel that has definitely helped spark my comic book interest! It's done by Grace Randolph, who is also a comic book writer and movie aficionado! She's writing a series that I've had yet to get my hands on but I am very tempted to just go ahead and by it online!!!

You should check out this video of Grace's and the rest of her channel here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1ik22uYQyw&feature=plcp This video is a review of the first episodes of Legend of Korra! Awesome!

So anyways! Walking among the Beaver Valley Public Library, I found a Neil Gaiman comic! Awesome! The only other book of Neil's I've read was Stardust! Which is magical and enchanting! I also really love the movie adaptation of the book!

I've heard lots of good things about Neil Gaiman and his American Gods and Sandman series. So when I saw he wrote a version of the Marvel Universe set in 1602 I fangirl-ed right out!!

I was not disappointed by my high expectations! This graphic novel is great! It compiles the whole 8 parts of the series together and the art work is awesome! Especially the action scenes and movement of Daredevil! The whole first part of the book for me was a great time! Sir Nicholas Fury!?!?! That's awesome! And Peter Parquagh? And the slight allusions in the "Ballad of the Fantastick" where "there were four brave souls rode the oceans abroad" man, this is great! The one that really got me laughing was Carlos Javier! Genius!

It also does a great job of incorporating so many characters and heroes together seamlessly in a time long ago! And still there are so many more characters that you discover on the way, that left me cheering out loud and holding my breath!

The story mainly follows the workings of Sir Nicholas Fury and Doctor Stephen Strange who work for the Queen! Strange weather and odd earthly behaviour is plaguing much of the world, bringing on rumors of armageddon. However, King James of Scotland and other forces outside and inside the country threaten the crown. Also some intense anti-mutant/witchcraft movements are starting to spread (mostly due to the influence of the church!) and also Sir Nick is trying to insure the safe travels of the Templars "weapon" to England. EPIC stuff!


This gets a solid 5/5 from me! Fantastic artwork, story and characters!

No comments:

Post a Comment